Euler thief refunds $31 million, ending “recoverable funds” in DeFi attack

The Euler Finance intruder has returned the remaining $31 million, successfully concluding the recovery efforts.

The individual who infiltrated and stole from the decentralized lending project Euler Finance has returned the remaining $31 million. This marks the conclusion of the project’s recovery efforts.

At approximately 6:55 p.m. EST on Monday, the perpetrator returned $31 million via three transactions, including 10,580 ETH ($19 million) and $12 million in DAI. According to the Euler Finance team, this took the total value of the returned funds to over $177 million, which represents 90% of the expected recoverable funds from the breach after normalizing for the 10% bounty previously offered by the project.

According to a recent tweet from the project’s creator, Euler Labs, “Following successful negotiations, all of the accessible funds taken from the Euler protocol on March 13th have now been successfully returned by the exploiter.”

The return of these funds represents an uncommon instance of a positive resolution in the DeFi space, where large-scale breaches have become more prevalent.

The digital assets worth $197 million were stolen from Euler Finance in a sophisticated assault on March 13 that used flash loans. To retrieve the stolen funds, Euler Finance offered the assailant a 10% bounty worth $19.7 million, with the warning that if the remaining 90% of the funds were not returned, a $1 million reward would be offered for information on the attacker.

Despite initial skepticism when the hacker laundered $1.8 million through the cryptocurrency aggregator Tornado Cash three days after the attack, the recovery procedure for Euler began on March 18 with the return of $5.4 million.

Throughout the days that followed, the intruder continued to return funds at irregular intervals. They returned the largest tranche of ETH, valued at $102 million.

Using the input data, the intruder sent a series of on-chain messages to their address on 28 March, sharing messages with the public. In these messages, the assailant expressed regret and promised to promptly return the remaining funds.

Also Read: Elon Musk Replaces The Twitter Logo With The Dogecoin Logo